Welcome

Welcome! I'm really excited that you have stopped by. I'm sure that you're just as busy as I am but still want to find enjoyable ways to fill your life with God-centered things. Well, you've come to the right place. Whether you have 5 minutes or 35 minutes, there is something here for you. Through each post, I hope to guide you towards the one source for which we can depend on. Subscribe and invite your friends so that we can all grow closer to God together!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

King Jehu

     I just finished reading a few chapters in 2 Kings- 8,9, and10. Usually I will only read just a chapter or a portion of a chapter so that I can really dig into that chapter. But this morning, I read more. I went from story to story, learning a lot, but also gaining a nice sized picture of the events of that time. Then arrived at the story of Jeru. Very interesting story.
     Jeru was a commander of Jerhoram, King of Judah. One day a young prophet comes to him to anoint him and let him know that he would be the new king of Judah. The prophet also gave specific instructions for Jeru that entailed eradicating the entire family of Ahab- just as Elijah had prophesied. If you read the story, you see that Jeru did a mighty fine job. But, what gets me is how his story ends. He was clearly skills at what he did. Wise and also influential. He rid of any trace of Baal worship from the land.Woot!! Right? Yea, that's some good stuff, but then he remained a worshiper of golden calves. What?!
     God does this thing in Exodus where He took His finger and wrote ten wonderful commands onto stone tablets. The first two say that we should not have any gods other than God and that we should not make any idols to worship. Jeru was on fire for the Lord, mostly. But does mostly even count?
Can we be mostly Christian? Can we be mostly driving in one lane? Can we mostly clean a dirty dish and it be considered clean?  
Joshua 24:15 challenges us to choose who we are going to serve. In Matthew 6:24, Jesus counsels that no man can serve both God and Satan, he will always pick a side.
     It's a sad ending to such a great beginning. Reminds me of the story of Judas, such a sad ending to such a great beginning. Morale of the story? We have to go all the way, man! We can't only give a portion of our life to God and think that that is good enough. We all know the verse,
"For what shall it profit a man, if should gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" ~Mark 8:36. 
So, what shall it profit a man if he thinks that giving most to God is good enough, and is used by the Lord, but looses his soul in the end?
     "Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive our demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly,'I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment